Stormwater Management – Facts & Tips
Across the nation, attention is being shifted to sources of pollution, such as Stormwater runoff, that are not normally treated by wastewater treatment plants. Stormwater management, especially in urban areas, is becoming a necessary step in seeking further reduction of pollution in our waterways.
The best way to control contamination of Stormwater is usually at the source, where the contaminants can be identified, reduced or contained before conveyed to surface water.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Bacteria from animal wastes and illicit connections to sewerage systems can make nearby lakes and bays unsafe for wading, swimming and the propagation of edible shellfish.
- Oil and grease from automobiles causes sheen and odor and makes transfer of oxygen difficult for aquatic organisms.
- Sediment from construction activities clouds waterways and interferes with the habitat of living things that depend upon those waters.
- Careless application of pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers affect the health of living organisms and cause ecosystem imbalances.
- Litter damages aquatic life, introduces chemical pollution, and diminishes the beauty of our waterways.
Since 2009, larger retail and grocery stores in New York State must make collection bins for plastic bag recycling available to customers in a visible, easily accessible location.
Refrigerators and Air Conditioners – There is a Con Edison Program offered to residents for the proper disposal of refrigerants/Freon. Con Edison offers residents free pick-up and recycling of a replacement refrigerator where you earn $30, and while there, Con Ed will also take an old AC, recycle it, and pay $35 for a window AC and $100 for a wall AC.
Important to note: the rebates and free recycling service hinge on having a refrigerator for pick-up. Visit www.ConEd.com or call 1-877-870-6118 for more info. Available to 1-4 family unit homes only.
Best Buy Stores Trade-In – TV and appliance haul-away – They will remove an old TV or appliance from your home for free when a replacement Best Buy product is delivered by Geek Squad or Best Buy delivery. Some exclusions apply.
For a fee, Best Buy will remove up to two TV units, or two appliances, or one TV and one appliance from your home for recycling. Also, the store has free kiosks just inside the door for you to drop off inkjet cartridges, rechargeable batteries, CDs/DVDs. They will take just about anything electronic, computer monitors, audio/video cables, cell phones, and more absolutely free with few restrictions.
I had no idea that stormwater drainage was such a source of pollution. I’ll have to try and find a way to reduce the amount of pollution my yard might give off during a storm. Thanks for the information about why storm management is important.
Happy to povide the info. If there are any areas of positive environmental stewardship that you would like to know more about – let us know and we can research and share the info right here.