Ossining Community Climate Action Plan
Download the Ossining Community Climate Action Plan [FINAL DRAFT]
[Updated FINAL DRAFT 02/10/12]
The Plan is based upon the Green Committee’s work over the course of 2010-11 and outlines steps for environmental initiatives that the Committee can take on in the future.
The following alterations were made:
- "Action Items" containing tips on green practices have been interspersed throughout document.
- A summary of Plan contents has been added to page 1.
- Additional photos have been added throughout document.
- Pie charts from Section III: Ossining’s Greenhouse Gas Footprint (page 10) have been added to the first page of each of the emissions reduction sectors, with the appropriate wedge within each pie chart highlighted.
- Additional language on steps that the Village, Town, and school district have taken to promote environmental-friendly practices have been added to page 3.
Detailed Ossining Measures -Transportation Sector
Summary: Techniques and best practices designed to reduce the number of single occupancy vehicle trips undertaken by employees during their daily commute, to encourage employers to implement telecommuting and flexible work schedules, and optimize their usage of vehicles in daily operations so as to minimize environmental impact.
– Alternative Transportation
– Motor Vehicle Best Practices
– Public Transportation
Detailed Ossining Measures -Energy Sector
Summary: Techniques and best practices designed to decrease electricity demand and heating fuel usage by commercial properties with the objective of reducing the business’s greenhouse gas footprint. This includes usage of energy-efficient appliances, fixtures, and other electricity-using devices as well as measures to reduce heating energy losses to the outdoors.
– Commercial Energy Efficiency
– Household Energy Efficiency
Detailed Ossining Measures -Water Resources Sector
Summary: These measures are focused on increasing household and business water conservation and conducting outreach intended to raise awareness of the effects of stormwater runoff on the environment.
– Commercial Water Conservation
– Household Water Conservation
– Stormwater Management
Detailed Ossining Measures -Waste Sector
Summary: These measures are focused on minimizing the amount of non-recyclables entering the waste stream and maximizing recycling rates. They are divided among four sectors: commercial waste management, household waste management, public spaces, and construction practices.
– Commercial Waste Management
– Household Waste Management
– Public Events
– Construction Practices