STASH THE TRASH and BEAUTIFICATION PROJECTS, 9a-12pm
Here’s your chance to pitch-in in clean-ups around the community!
Email: Bill Garrison to sign ip/find out more at: firstname.lastname@example.org
WESTCHESTER COUNTY HOSTS HOUSEHOLD RECYCLING DAY EVENT
Westchester County’s Department of Environmental Facilities (DEF) will be conducting a Household Recycling Day (HRD) Event on Saturday, May 18 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the County’s Material Recovery Facility (MRF), located in Yonkers, at exit 6A off I-87, opposite Home Depot and Stew Leonard’s.
In addition to properly labelled household chemicals and other special wastes found in a typical household, residents can bring documents for shredding and expired or unwanted medications for disposal to the May 18 HRD Event at the MRF.
Generally, the following items are accepted for safe disposal or recycling:
- Properly labelled household chemicals, such as:
- Household cleaning products
- Most automotive fluids (antifreeze, brake fluid, gasoline but not motor oil)
- Flammable liquids (kerosene, butane, lighter fluid, turpentine)
- Metal, jewelry and furniture polishes and waxes; wood preservatives
- Fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides, herbicides
- Photographic and swimming pool chemicals
- Batteries – only vehicle, rechargeable, or button cell
- Fluorescent light bulbs & CFLs
- Fire extinguishers
- BBQ propane tanks (up to 20 lbs.)
- Mercury containing devices (thermometers and thermostats)
- Electronic waste (TVs, computer monitors and towers)
- Expired or unwanted medications, both OTC and prescription
- Personal documents for shredding (limit of four (4) file-size boxes per household)
Items that will not be accepted and should not be brought to the Household Recycling Day include paint (both latex and oil), non-rechargeable alkaline and carbon zinc batteries (they can be safely discarded in the trash), motor oil, smoke detectors, cell phones, explosives (flares, fireworks, ammunition), construction debris and hypodermic needles. Also, waste from businesses, schools or other institutions will not be accepted.
For more information on what to bring to this event, visit www.westchestergov.com/recycling or call (914)813-5425.
If you can’t make it to the HRD Event, you can still dispose of your hard-to-get-rid-of household waste by visiting the County’s Household-Material Recycling Facility (H-MRF), 15 Woods Rd., Valhalla. The H-MRF is open Tuesday-Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. by appointment and accepts the same items that are accepted at the HRD events. For more information about the H-MRF or to make an appointment, visit http://environment.westchestergov.com/new-h-mrf or call (914)813-5425.